28 July 2008

Mission Memory Monday: Capitalism?

When I lived in Ploiesti, Romania as a missionary, while serving with Sora Parent, we had a funny experience. We had gone to a little shop where we found some canned peaches. We were greeted with the typical, "Spuneti!" It means, speak. We had spotted the peaches and decided to purchase them. We told the woman at the cash register what we wanted. Her reply, "That's our last can of peaches." We again asked to purchase the peaches. Our second request was met with the aforementioned response. We may even have asked for them a third time only to be met with the same response as before.

These were the thoughts running through my head:
If you sell us your last can of peaches, you can order more. We will come back and buy them, too. You will make money. That's good

I don't think she would have appreciated that little lesson on capitalism.

Did we get the peaches? You bet!

Oh, by the way, every missionary I ever served with, the missionaries before me and the missionaries who served right after me have stories just like this.

3 comments:

SydneyMin said...

I totally remember that, Kirsten! I remember how grumbly they were when they had to crawl up on a ladder to get those peaches off of the top shelf, too! Most importantly, I remember how luxurious those canned peaches tasted when we got them back to the apartment :) Thanks for the memory of Romanian nonexistent customer service!

Shanda said...

Oh yes, there will be a similar memory on my blog soon. That is great!

Angela said...

Kirsten - HELLO!!! How fun to fun across your blog (thanks to Mendy's blog which led me to Brandon's blog and then here to yours). I remember similar experiences in Ploiesti. Those were great times!!! And fun memories!