12 November 2012

A Thank You

I love the United States of America. When I think of the mighty sacrifices of life and limb willingly offered up by those members of the military, I get a lump in my throat. The freedoms we enjoy in this country are not free, nor will they ever be.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces hold a special place in my heart. Perhaps that is because both my father, his brother, and their father all served in the military. My grandfather, Henry Abel served in the Army during WWII, fighting in the campaign in Italy. My dad recalls watching some sort of documentary about the war on TV and asking his dad if he had been there. My grandpa's only response was "Yep. I was there." Dad says that is all my grandpa ever said about it. My uncle served in the Army and spent a year overseas in Korea.

I grew up the child of a military man. My dad, Michael Henry, served in the Army, achieving the rank of Major and then switched colors to Air Force blue, eventually retiring at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. I know a bit about what the military life is like. So, to the members of this nation's great defense team, I say thank you for everything!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I agree, thank you to our military members and their families!