05 June 2009

Day: The Last

The last day of school is bittersweet. Investments have been made in young lives and as a teacher of 9th graders, I have put in blood, sweat, and tears. Literally. I want them to do well as they depart their middle school existence for the greener pastures of high school. I hope they remember what I tried to teach them (and the content is not limited to reading, writing, and arithmetic).

My room is now a shell harboring the tools of my trade. Desks are shoved over and will await the fall with chairs, computers, etc. before feeling used again.

That is the bitter.

Teaching takes a lot of energy and there are some students I am glad to see moving on. I get time to sleep in (if my body permits), time to travel, time with friends an family.
I get a paycheck and it does seem like getting paid for doing nothing (though it's not).

That's the sweet.

Those of my students who came to school today helped me take everything down. They were a big help and I thank them most sincerely.

That's the end. Have a great summer!








-- Post From My iPhone

3 comments:

LeShel said...

wow, another year gone....

Katie said...

Another year come and gone. Have a great summer.

Julia said...

So empty!