04 July 2007

Independence Day

Robert E. Lee said (and I'm paraphrasing), that it was well war was so terrible; else we should grow too fond of it. I don't disagree. I also think that Robert E. Lee knew that war was also sometimes necessary. He knew that it is sometimes necessary to engage in battle in order to defend one's home, family, liberties, and religion.

To be in favor of war in today's political atmosphere, is not widely considered a good thing. This country has gone from one that unconditionally supports her defenders to one that is merely hypocritically supportive (many say, "We support the soldiers but not the cause"). How can this be? We Americans enjoy nothing but freedom. It has been said that freedom is not free. Our own history as well as the histories of every nation on this planet have proven that to be true.

I often tell my students how lucky they are to live in a place where they can have their iPods, stereos, cool clothes, homes, cars, an education, friends, beliefs, and cell phones. In history they are taught about all those who fought and died so that future generations could live in freedom. I don't know that these young people can truly understand it, but then again, I'm pretty sure I didn't fully understand it either at that age. Experience will teach them as it has taught me that the way of life we enjoy in the United States was paid for in blood, sweat, and tears.

It seems to me that all want freedom but too many complain about how we get it and maintain it. To them I say, "Stop it." This amazing country exists because there were incredible people who were willing to fight for it, to spill blood for it, and they didn't apologize for it, either.

So, on this, the birthday of the United States of America, I say to all those who have fought, are fighting, and will one day fight for my freedom and the freedom of others, thank you.

No comments: