25 October 2007

I Haven't Had 40s Therapy. Yet.

On Saturday I will be 36 years old. A lot has happened in 36 years. I started life backwards. I was in a cast for a congenital hip and subsequently a brace for the better part of my first year of life. I started Kindergarten at the age of 4 in Maryland. I would attend 4 elementary schools, 3 jr. highs, and 2 high schools. I graduated in 1989 from Hillcrest High School. I attended Snow College, received an AA, then headed to Utah State. After getting a BA in History, I went on a mission. I remembered thinking that I had finally gotten to that stage in my life and I couldn't believe it because I had wanted it for so long. Romania was amazing.

I worked in a private school post-mission before spreading my wings again and moving to Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC. Taiwan was brilliant!

Finally settled back at home, I went back to school and got my teaching license. I started my career in teaching in my thirties. Today, when I was telling some students something about "when I was in my twenties" and then expressed the shock that I could say that, they kindly said they thought I was in my twenties. I will love those girls forever for that.

I've travelled more than many in my almost 36 years of life. I have seen almost half of my siblings get married, most of them have children. I've seen them grow and develop into fantastic young people. I'm proud of them.

I realize I still have 4 years left in my thirties. I feel like I should have more. Am I ready to head into my forties? I don't think so. I haven't had forties therapy yet.

3 comments:

Kristal said...

I love you my cousin and I think you have done some amazing things in those 36 years... I got kinda jealous reading that:)

Also, our plan is still to cut through your neck of the woods on Friday, November 2nd.... one week! I would like to have dinner with you and whoever in your family is available:) Let's make a plan!:)

Julia said...

No, you are NOT ready for your 40s. Because I'M not ready for my 40s and I'm going to beat you there! In 15 years or so... what do you mean we aren't in our 20s anymore?
Happy Birthday, Draga Sora.

Janet said...

Hi Kirsten! Found your site off of Bec's blog. I feel your pain... 4 years! My cultural references to my students are obsolete. Things like Cheers, Friends etc. I'm starting to feel a little aged