19 December 2007

Romanian Rocks!

I was thinking this morning about some of the things Romanians say that we don't have an English equivalent for. One example is "Multi inainte!" This is something one says in response to a happy birthday wish or upon finding out how old someone is. Another appropriate thing that can be said here is, "Sa cresti mare si sanatos!" When nieces or nephews or children or grandchildren come up in a conversation, a Romanian would wish, "Sa va traiasca!" This means that they want your extended family members to live a long time. There is of course the ever useful, "Poftim/Poftiti" depending on how formal you need to be. It basically means, "Please, do." When something to eat is offered or you let someone through a door, it is a useful phrase. My favorite is, "La multi ani!" This can be used for anything from birthdays, to special occassions, to major holidays of any kind.

I love the Romanian language and all the fun things about it.

La multi ani!

3 comments:

foculbrown said...

"Adeca" (or how ever it's spelled) is also one that doesn't translate well. It means "In other words", but that doesn't roll off the tongue like adeca.

"Pua da" (Julie/Kirstin, please correct my spelling!) don't translate well. "Well, dah" comes close, but I think it lacks something.

Kirsten said...

That's true...I hadn't thought of those but I love them, too.

Unknown said...

I'd love to hear you speak it some time. Our friend's daughter went to Romania and they have a crazy awesome language too.