10 September 2008

My Civic Duty

Tuesday: I get a notice for jury duty.
Thursday: My phone crashed. Grrr.
Friday morning: I wake up at 2 a.m. with major pain in my right shoulder.
Later Friday morning: I'm cranky at work. Never a good thing.
Friday afternoon: I'm feeling like I've been drowning at work since school started this year. My phone doesn't work, I'm sleep deprived. My shoulder hurts.
Friday after work: I stop by AT&T to see about my phone. They tell me I have to take it to the Apple Store.
Friday evening: I go to the Apple Store. I wait. Who knew one needed an appointment? I wait some more. They do take care of me. I get a new phone.
Later Friday evening: I call the courts...my number comes up and I'm to report on Monday at 8:30 a.m. for jury duty.

I feel that I can't handle one more thing. I thought most certainly that Heavenly Father would see to it that I wouldn't have to serve jury duty but since I was wrong I prayed that I would see the wisdom in the "one more thing" I was being asked to do.

Monday morning: I am right on time for jury duty. 8:30 sharp!
By 10:30 I am done and $18.50 richer. The defendant decided to take a plea deal.
I invited a friend who works down town to lunch and walked around Temple Square and checked out the Church History Museum. The weather was perfect.

So, it would seem, that I'm an idiot and I learned a great lesson about having more trust in my Heavenly Father who knows what's best.

I never would have taken the day off and I never would have gotten a much needed break to lift my spirits and replenish my energy. And on top of it, I performed an important civic duty.

2 comments:

Papa Abel said...

Funny how this stuff works out sometimes. We humans are so prone to seeing only the lemon and never thinking about the possible lemonade lurking inside it. The Good Lord does indeed take care of us--often more lovingly than we deserve.

Patty said...

You are so great. Good for you hanging in there. Can't wait to see you again. Love you lots.