05 June 2008

The End is Here

The 2007-08 school year came to an end yesterday. Taking down my room was a quick and dirty process and by 10 o'clock I was chillin' with my co-workers in my room waiting for the faculty luncheon to begin so that it could end so that we could check out and leave. Students wandered the building despite the best efforts of teachers and administration to keep them in a classroom. Yes, our students who complain incessantly about having to come to school all year long come the last day and don't leave. They stay in the building after school all throughout the year, too. Sometimes they stay until 4 o'clock in the afternoon. I always tell them they have chores waiting for them at home so they'd better get a move on. They always stare back at me blankly as though I were speaking a foreign language (which I could, by the way, but it would be no more effective).

It rained and rained and perhaps that is what contributed the surreal feeling of the day.

It should feel pretty real now, because I'm sitting in my bed at 9:36 a.m. with a post school year head ache and writing this up.

No comments: