23 June 2008

Mission Memory Monday: The Sisters' Sleep-over

Again, I'm following Shanda's lead...I think posting a mission memory is a great idea. I don't know if I'll be able to manage to keep it up every Monday, but I'm going to give it a try.

I think it's only appropriate to begin my Mission Memory Monday post with a write up about the well-known and beloved Sisters' Sleep-over. I served as a missionary in the Romania Bucharest Mission. When I got there in September of 1993, there were in the neighborhood of 14 Sisters already serving. By November, there were 17 or so of us. Our mission was already pretty small and we missionaries were close. (I'm proud to say that we still are). 

Our preparation days fell on Thursday, if memory serves, and very often we Sisters would meet on Wednesday evenings after a full day of teaching the gospel, and begin our sleep-over. Thursdays we'd write letters and go somewhere for lunch. 

The sleep-overs were simply a chance to get together and talk and share experiences, and enjoy one another's company. Those sleep-overs brought us together and we all truly became sisters. We did not meet every week, but we met often. 

Sometimes, even good things must come to an end and our Sisters' Sleep-overs were no exception. We enjoyed them as long as we were able and the memories will be there even longer.

Our sleep-overs continued briefly as more of us returned home. Whenever we were able to get together, we usually tried to have a sleep-over.

To those sisters: Va iubesc nespus de mult. Multumesc pentru memoriile frumoase. Nu va uit niciodata.

1 comment:

Shanda said...

The sleepovers were almost a thing of the past when I got to Romania. We still had one or two, but mostly we sisters got together for lunch. I loved our mission!