07 December 2008

Here we go a Caroling!

On December 1, I began to listen to Christmas carols. I grew up listening to the typical Christmas carols we are favored with here in the States. I also grew up listening to German carols, in German. As a missionary, Romanian carols or colinde were included in my listening and singing repertoire. I decided to make two lists...My top 1o favorite secular carols and my 10 favorite religious carols. I've included the artist where I feel it is necessary, or the translation or where the carol is from (if I don't know the exact translation).

Secular
10. Sleigh Ride, Harry Connick, Jr.
9. Where Are You, Christmas?, Faith Hill

8. The Christmas Waltz, The Carpenters

7.
Am plecat sa colindam (We've left to go caroling)
6. You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

5. Grown-up Christmas List, Amy Grant
4. Believe, Josh Groban
3.
Kling, Glockchen, Klingelingeling (Ring, Little Bells, Ring)
2. Pa Laver Sitter Nissen (Norwegian)
1. Santa Baby, Eartha Kitt (It's the only version, as far as I'm concerned).


Religious

10. Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht
9. What Child is This?, Sarah McLachlan

8. Es ist ein Ros Entsprungen
7.
Steaua (The Star)
6.
Il e Ne le Divin Enfant (French)
5. Oh, Holy Night, Josh Groban
4. In the Bleak Midwinter, Sissel

3. Still, Still, Still, Mormon Tabernacle Choir

2. Mitt Hjerte Alltid Vanker (Norwegian carol, sung by Sissel)
1. O ce veste minunata (Oh What Wonderful News)

Just because a carol didn't make my list, doesn't mean I don't like it, too. These are simply my favorites. I could listen to them all day and it would be way better than listening to the lame stuff on the radio that is played over and over and over and over until the carol is dead.

4 comments:

SydneyMin said...

Cool list, Kirsten! I haven't thought about some of those colinde for years!

Kirsti said...

I'm thinking I need to check out the Sarah version of What Child is This. I also love Faith Hill's Where are you Christmas. Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without beautiful music, eh?

Rojahn Family said...

I love your little blog! I don't think you look any different than when I was on my mission, you know that?

You go, girl!

Brandon and Jen Jensen said...

I'm sure that's Brandon's number one choice for the religious list also! Great choices. By the way, I wish I were one of your nieces! They are so lucky to have you.